Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Choosing a web hosting provider

There are not too many companies that are offer shared web hosting with Mono. One of the ones that does is Ubiquity and that is who I decided to go with. Their price was pretty good at $5.95 a month for a one year commitment with a 45 day money back guarantee plus free domain registration. That is $71.40 up front.

I liked their feature set and the comments on the web about them seemed mostly favorable.

After I went through their sign-up process I was excited to try it out and start playing around with it but when I tried the IP address they gave me it was not set up yet. I kept trying over the next couple days. I looked through their website to find out how long it would take and I saw that it could take up to 72 hours for some set ups and if it still wasn't set up after that to enter a support ticket.

So I entered a support ticket and a few hours later someone got back to me and said it was working fine for them. I emailed them back that I was still unable to access it and that ping and tracert were not working. A few hours later they emailed me back and said my IP address had been blocked on their firewall and that it should be working now.

Doh. I should have opened up a ticket sooner.

It was still a ways away from getting things working at that point though. Read more.

2 comments:

maranthaen unai said...

Good

maranthaen unai said...

Thanks for sharing.Here i wish to add some additional information to choose web hosting.
Whenever you choose a hosting provider,be aware that provider is trustworthy and provide 24/7 technical support.
Here i list out some points while considering to choose a best web hoster.
1.Amount of web space
2.FTP access
3.File type and size limitations
4.Reliability and speed of access
5.Supported languages
6.Bandwidth allotment
It's very helpful to choose the best hosting provider like 9CubeHosting.com