So I removed the Title attribute and I got new error.
That was when I noticed the version number at the bottom. It 1.1 instead of 2.0. Just to make sure that Mono wasn't using a versioning system that was different from Microsoft's I created a simple page that used a common .NET 2.0 feature.
<%@ Page Language="C#" %> <html> <head><title></title></head> <body> <div>System.Version = <%= Environment.Version.ToString() %></div> <div>List<string>.Count = <%= (new System.Collections.Generic.List<string>()).Count.ToString() %></div> </body> </html>It got a compilation error.
error CS1644: Feature `generics' is not available in Mono mcs compiler. Consider using Mono gmcs compiler insteadOnce I knew what the problem was I had to figure out how to fix it. I found a description of what to do here. You have to change the MonoServerPath setting from <path>/mod-mono-server to <path>/mod-mono-server2 in the config file that contains it. This may be mod_mono.conf or httpd.conf or some other file. I am not sure where it is commonly placed.
I am using shared web hosting so I don't have access to change or even view those files, so I contacted my web hosting company (Ubiquity) and asked them to change it. They had me try changing it in my .htaccess file first, which I tried and found that it didn't work. The commands to start up the mod mono server so that it can handle ASP.NET requests must happen in a certain sequence in the config files so tacking it on after startup in an .htaccess file didn't work. It caused HTTP 500 errors for any requests to my directory. It may be possible to set up a fully working sequence of mod mono startup commands in an .htaccess file in order to override the ASP.NET version for a particular directory. I tried a number of different combinations while I was waiting for my hosting company to change it at the server level but none of the things I tried worked.
They wanted to change it at the server level anyway because they advertise supporting ASP.NET 2.0 and I think that is how they had intended to set it up. I suspect that the commonly downloaded version of Mono is still set up to use ASP.NET 1.1 by default instead of 2.0. If that is the case they should change that so people who install it don't have to go find the setting and change it themselves.